Hogenakkal Falls, though falls in the states of Tamil Nadu but its proximity from Bangalore makes it a number weekend gateway for travelers here. It is definitely a must go place.
While, on our long trip to Bangalore in Feb, we were all very excited to go here. We started late (post breakfast) from our home and went nonstop 3 hr drive, as it was not a non peak season. Else, one has to leave at 6.30-7.00 in the morning to get the boat.
Upon reaching at the parking bay, we immediately was escorted by a boat man to the ticket counter. The boat is a adventure in itself. One needs to walk in between to cross the rocks. It would be difficult for people with knee problem, as the steps are very steep, and rocks are slippery to walk.
Our little adventure started and our our boatman started sprinkling water on us while rowing. He also took the boat under the waterfall. It was so much fun. We witnesses multiple waterfalls – big and small. It is a hub for many Bollywood and South movies for its picturesque location and mesmerizing falls.
After a ride one way, we all got down in the water. Kids went crazy for swimming. While coming back our boat man took us inside the waterfall which is extremely unpopular and is not visible from the boat. We went on foot inside the rocks. The rocks were very slippery and the moment we used to think we have made a balance for walking, small fishes use to give us pedicure. The force in the water was so high. It would be impossible to go near waterfall during peak monsoons.
The entire experience was spell bounding and is actually very difficult to describe in words.
There are three seasons to go and every season has its own charm.
- June-Aug – when it is peak monsoon. The water level will be very high and you will only be able to go for a boat ride. The view of falls would be super amazing.
- Dec-Jan – when the water level is high but not as high as in monsoons. One can enjoy the boat ride and also will be able to get down at certain points in water. It is the peak season for travelers. Expect a couple of hours queue to get a boat.
- Feb-Mar – when the water level is low. One can enjoy the boat ride. Also one will be able to get down in the waterfalls and bathing areas. we went here in this period and we just had a gala time. Kids were able to swim in the water. We enjoyed the waterfalls and boat ride was amazing.
- Carry an extra pair of clothing for everyone if you decide to go in the water. There are changing rooms available (rooms near parking are better)
- Carry heavy snacks like sandwiches etc to eat during the boat ride/otherwise, as there are not many good options around.